Jacob Fletcher sailed his fleet of ships and family of 9 children from Cumberland to set up his business and home in Liverpool during its shipping heyday. His second son Caleb, like him, had been a shipping magnate in the Port and, after his demise, his grandson Jacob purchased the 150-acre site that is now known as Allerton Manor Golf Club in 1815. The house was built between 1810-1812 and designed by Thomas Harrison of Chester, Harrison also designed the Lyceum building at the foot of Bold Street.
Jacob lived in Allerton Manor House with his younger brother Caleb who were both bachelors, the fine house was passed to their younger brother William when both brothers deceased. William, an Agent for The Bank of England in Liverpool married Mary from the Benson shipping family, they had 7 children together and their youngest son Alfred inherited ‘Allerton’ in 1892.
Alfred was involved in many commercial ventures within the Liverpool business community until he passed away in 1919. Children and Grandchildren of Alfred were born and raised in the house until it was sold to Liverpool City Council in 1922, the inheritance was then shared between the surviving children.
The council converted the Manor House to a clubhouse for the new golf course: Allerton Park Golf Course (also known as Allerton Municipal Golf Course) which opened in 1924.
On 21st November 1944 a fire broke out leaving the building in ruins, the 8 front pillars still stand and on 14th March 1975 the ruins became a Grade II listed structure.
Fallen past its prime after many years of under-investment and neglect, Allerton Park suffered as local competitors surged forward, developing facilities and hospitality venues which left Allerton seemingly in the history of yester-year. The Clubhouse sat woefully unloved, the condition of the course began to slip, and apart from loyal season ticket holders, Allerton Park failed to ignite the interest of the booming locale of South Liverpool.
Green Circle Estates, part of the team of masterminds behind Formby Hall Golf Resort and Spa, were enlisted to become the city’s official golf operating partner, and a reinvention process began. Reborn Allerton Manor Golf Club in November 2015, we set about a transformation of the club and the facilities in coalition with the City Council. We did so with a clear mission in mind; offering an accessible and affordable golf offering true to the course’s Pay and Play roots but with the kind of facilities and standards expected at a private members’ golf club.
In November 2016, long overdue works began on the parkland course itself; improving tees, greens, and fairways with state of the art TORO greenkeeping machinery used across championship courses around the world. We enlisted the expertise of IDG (International Design Group), PGA affiliated Golf Architects with a résumé that comprises numerous first-class golf courses around the world, including the golfing hubs of Dubai, USA, and Asia. We are the first municipal golf course in the UK to undergo this kind of high-level refurbishment, and in Spring 2017 the first phase of works were completed which included new championship tees, the reshaping of fairways and 2 new revetted bunkers either side of the signature 8th green. Facilities were also upgraded, to include stylish new changing facilities and washrooms.
Further improvement works will take place on the golf course too, with plans coming soon to extend it to become a lengthened Par 72 Championship course. The existing Academy course will also be remodelled to create a more challenging 9-Hole Par 3 course, recreating signature holes from esteemed courses around the world. Plans are in motion to bring an Adventure Golf course to the site, uniting golf, leisure and dining to create a destination leisure resort for men, women and families of all ages to enjoy.