Jacob Fletcher sailed his fleet of ships and family of 9 children from Cumberland to set up his business and home in Liverpool during its shipping heyday. His second son Caleb, like him, had been a shipping magnate in the Port and, after his demise, his grandson Jacob purchased the 150-acre site that is now known as Allerton Manor Golf Club in 1815. The house was built between 1810-1812 and designed by Thomas Harrison of Chester, Harrison also designed the Lyceum building at the foot of Bold Street.
Jacob lived in Allerton Manor House with his younger brother Caleb who were both bachelors, the fine house was passed to their younger brother William when both brothers deceased. William, an Agent for The Bank of England in Liverpool married Mary from the Benson shipping family, they had 7 children together and their youngest son Alfred inherited ‘Allerton’ in 1892.